Book Bits: Upcoming writing competitions
Here are a few contests and awards with upcoming deadlines. While many writers believe entering material in contests with an entry fee is like playing the lottery, all but one of the following contests has a fee.
Obviously, the larger and the more prestigious a prize is, the stiffer the competition. However, working hard to make your entry fee count just might be an incentive. Plus, if the piece doesn’t win, place or show, you can always publish it on Kindle or CreateSpace.
Please check deadlines and guidelines in case I’ve made errors compiling this list and/or to see if any have changed.
- Thomas Wolfe Fiction Prize, deadline January 30, 2014, fee $15/$25; prize $1,000 and possible publication; fiction up to twelve, double-spaced pages.
- Psychopomp Magazine Short Fiction Contest, deadline January 31, 2014; entry fee $15; prize $500 plus publication; short fiction up to 6,000 words.
- Lamar York Prizes, Chattahoochee Review, deadline January 31, 2014, two prizes of $1,000, entry fee $15; story or essay of up to 5,000 words.
- Lambda Literary Foundation Outstanding Midcareer Novelists’ Prizes. deadline March 7,2014; entry fee $0.00; two prizes of $5,000; annual prizes to annually to LGBT novelists in midcareer who have published at least three novels or two novels in addition to books of poetry, short stories, or essays.
- Gulf Coast Prizes, deadline March 15, 2014; entry fee $23 (includes magazine subscription); $1,500 plus publication; fiction, nonfiction and poetry submitted on line or by mail.
- Eludia Award, Hidden River Publishing, deadline March 15, 2014; entry fee $25; prize $1,000 plus publication; first novel or short story collection by a woman over 40 who has not published a book of fiction.
- Trio House Press Poetry Awards, deadline April 30, 2014; entry fee $25; prize $1.000 plus publication; First or Second Book for emerging poets; on the website, see also the Louise Bogan Award.
Best of luck!