Book Bits: Indies Choice Awards, Marie Colvin, Book Fairs, DC Comics
- News: Announcing the 2013 Indies Choice and E.B. White Award Winners, by Rosemary Hawkins – “Today (April 17), the American Booksellers Association announces the winners of the 2013 Indies Choice Book Awards and the E.B. White Read-Aloud Awards, as voted by independent booksellers nationwide.” Bookselling This Week
- News: The Festival of Books app is ready for download, by Carolyn Kellogg – “For those who feel strange if they don’t have a smartphone on hand, modern technology has made navigating the L.A. Times Festival of Books easy. The new L.A. Times Festival of Books app is now available to download for free at iTunes and at Google Play.” The Los Angeles Times
- News: DC Comics Introduces First Transgender Character, by Annalisa Quinn – “Wednesday’s issue of “Batgirl” introduced the first transgender character in a mainstream comic series: Batgirl’s roommate, Alysia Yeoh. Speaking with Wired, ‘Batgirl’ writer Gail Simone said the choice was inspired by the diversity of comics fans and asked, ‘Why in the world can we not do a better job of representation of not just humanity, but also our own loyal audience?’” NPR
- News: Late war reporter Marie Colvin listed for top UK writing prize – “Veteran American war correspondent Marie Colvin who was killed in Syria last year was nominated on Thursday for the Orwell Prize, a British literary award for political writing.” Reuters
- Feature: Next-generation ebooks introduced at London Book Fair, by Claire Armitstead – “Faber trails ‘fully immersive’ version of The Thirty-Nine Steps, and a bespoke ebook using digital format to rethink conventional narrative” The Guardian
- How To: Flashbacks in Books, by Neal Whitman – “I asked guest writer Neal Whitman to talk about techniques authors use to take their readers from one point in the past to a place even further in the past. He’ll use examples from two novels he’s enjoyed.” Grammar Girl
“Book Bits” is compiled several times a week by Malcolm R. Campbell, author of contemporary fantasy novels and short stories.